UNCG provides several means which a student may address complaints and grievances. Students are advised to put their concerns in writing and carefully document the events that led to the complaint or grievance. As it is sometimes confusing as to which of the routes listed below should be followed, students are advised to contact the Dean of Students Office for advice on which procedure to follow. Concerns should be expressed as soon as possible after the event occurs; some of the procedures below have specific deadlines for filing grievances or complaints.

Please note: some items require the Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader, which can be downloaded from the Adobe website.

Normal inquiries or concerns such as those involving admission requirements, educational
programs, etc. should be addressed directly to the appropriate office at the University of North Carolina Greensboro.

Informal Review Process

A student who believes that he/she has been treated with substantial unfairness should initially attempt to resolve the matter by the end of the academic semester (fall, spring, or summer) following the academic semester when the alleged incident occurred (e.g. if the incident occurred during spring semester, the initial attempt must be completed by the last day of the final summer term) by communicating in writing allegations to the administrative officer most directly concerned, excluding the person accused of the improper act. This officer is likely to be a Director, a Department Head, Dean or Vice Chancellor. In the case of an allegation against a faculty member, the Dean shall be the first avenue of appeal. The final step in the informal review for all students shall be the Vice Chancellor to whom the accused ultimately reports.

The officer should attempt immediately to discover the truth of the allegation and in the case of valid complaints, should seek resolution by discussion, counseling, mediation, or agreement of the parties, or by administrative action. The nature of the grievance and any information about it should be treated with the utmost confidentiality and with sensitivity to the issues involved.

At the end of efforts to resolve the grievance, the officer should record the complaint in a written statement identifying the grievant, the conduct complained of, the name of the accused person, the outcome of the information inquiry, and should maintain a copy in the office’s complaint files to be made available to other appropriate officials if needed.

For student complaints that do not fall into the categories above, follow the Grievance Procedure for Students. (PDF)

If you are taking any UNCG courses, and you have a complaint about your experience with UNCG, you have two options:

  1. You can follow the UNCG process for student complaints located above. You may also contact The Southern Association of Schools and Colleges Commission on Colleges, UNCG’s accrediting agency.
  2. If you are residing outside of North Carolina while attending UNCG, in many cases you can file a complaint in the state where you are residing. As required by federal regulations, we direct you to a list of resources compiled and updated by the State Higher Education Executive Officers.

State Portal Entity

UNCG’s Student Complaint and Grievance Process for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA)

NC-SARA provides a complete lists of relevant agencies with contact information for each NC-SARA state.

Contact information for NC SEAA c/o SARA-NC:

SARA North Carolina
North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority
PO Box 41349
Raleigh, NC 27629
Email: information@saranc.org
855.SAR.A1NC (727.2162)
919.549.8614, ext. 4667

Listing of the State Contacts for Student Complaints

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

If a complaint cannot be resolved after exhausting the institution’s grievance procedure, the student may file a complaint with the following office:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina System Office
223 S. West Street, Suite 1800
Raleigh NC 27603

The student may contact North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints (NCP-SEC) for further details.
Review the NCP-SEC student complaint policy
Access the NCP-SEC student complaint form

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, GA 30033-4097
Telephone: 404.679.4500
Website: www.sacscoc.org

If the complaint has not been resolved by North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints, the student may contact UNCG’s accreditor, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACSCOC).

SACSCOC Complaint Procedures and Complaint Form

Share This