Disruptive Behavior in the Classroom

The instructor may withdraw a student from a course for behavior that is deemed by the instructor to be disruptive to the class. The grade assigned will be “W” if the behavior occurs before the deadline for dropping a course without academic penalty, and the instructor has the option of giving a “W” or a “WF” if the behavior occurs after the deadline.


The instructor must provide an opportunity for the student to be heard. In providing this opportunity, the instructor must follow the procedure described below:

  1. The student must be notified in writing at the next class attended that the instructor proposes to drop the student from the course for disruption of the class. If necessary, the instructor may send the notice in writing via email in advance of the next class. The instructor will provide the student with a written notice that identifies the behavior deemed disruptive invoking this policy as well as instructions regarding the time and place for a meeting with the instructor. A copy of this written notification must be sent to the instructor’s department head at the same time.
  2. A student shall have the opportunity to meet with the instructor and to be heard no later than five (5) business days after the student’s receipt of written notification.
  3. The date of notification establishes whether the withdrawn student will be given a “W” or “WF”. “W” is appropriate before the 8-week drop date and either “W” or “WF” is appropriate after that date, at the instructor’s discretion.
  4. The instructor may, in his/her sole discretion, either suspend the student from class until the instructor takes final action to withdraw the student from class or allow the student to continue in the class.
  5. Either party in the resolution of this dispute may invite one other person of the University community to be present as an observer to the meeting between the student and the instructor.


If the student wishes to appeal the instructor’s decision to withdraw the student from class, he/she should follow the academic appeal procedures outlined in the section on grading in the Undergraduate Bulletin. The student, if desired, should first discuss his/her concerns with the Department Head, the Dean of the School or College, and the Provost, in that order.

Revised 10/2011

Leave a Reply or trackback