The Dean of Students Office

Creating a Culture of Care

How Can the Law Protect?

There are two categories of legal options available to domestic violence victims.

One is civil relief. A victim can go to the local clerk of court’s office and file a civil complaint and motion for a domestic violence protective order, also known as a 50-B.

Another option is to file appropriate criminal charges at the magistrates office, such as: assault on a female, threatening phone calls, stalking, communicating threats, domestic criminal trespass, rape, and sexual assault. Please contact UNCG Police (336-334-5963 or the Dean of Students Office (336-334-5514) for more information about legal options and available campus resources.

Community Resources

  • 2-1-1 is a free, 24/7 telephone information and referral service to help link citizens who are seeking help with the community resources they need. In Guilford, Forsyth, Randolph and Rockingham counties, just dial 211 from your phone or access their Web site at
  • Rape Line of Greensboro: 336-273-7273
  • Domestic Violence Hotline of Greensboro: 336-274-7316
  • RAIN (Rape Abuse Incest National Network):1-800-656-HOPE
  • NC Div. of Victim and Justice Services: 1-800-826-6200
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE

(National Center for Victims of Crime,

Leave a Reply or trackback